Friday, October 8, 2010

Exhaustion/Frustration

So difficult to be motivated, creative and inspiring when you are exhausted. Knowing I will not have even one extra moment to slap that snooze button in the morning doesn't help. But I push myself because too often I am exhausted from trying to get my daughter to sleep. If I had continued to wait until I was more rested I may never get back here to write post #2 let alone have started this blog in the first place. Besides, some of the most outrageous but brilliant ideas come from a mind warped by sleep deprivation . . . or booze . . . or both.

We are now on round three of a 4 hour battle to try to get my daughter to sleep. She did not nap today so there is no real reason for her to be awake accept for being a stubborn mule. Thanks to a good choice I made 17 years ago I have a tag team partner in this cage match who willingly took over the fight a few minutes ago. My daughter is also exhausted but can not seem to admit it even to herself. Maybe I should write about the art of being stubborn. (See, good ideas do come from exhaustion.) I have in her the perfect example of loudly fighting for what you believe with every fiber of your being right up until you pass out from the exhaustive effort of trying to convince others that just because you are small does not mean you are not righteous.

As I type I hear near silence from the baby monitor. The beast sleeps. My husband is up there with her now lying on the floor as I was for over almost two hours before him. Yes, he will credit me with loosening the lid.

That's how it goes . . . some days you can accomplish what you want on your own. Other days you will need help. Some days you will will feel unstoppable; others as if you can not seem to get started.
At this moment I'm so tired I could cry. That almost painful feeling I am unable to breath because my throat is tightening, trying choke off the tears. I am certain any of my readers have felt this same frustration.

You can expect honesty from me on this blog. I can not promise you roses and a positive mental attitude will not always give you a sunny day. If you were not ready to lose it I would suggest always having a handful of healthy stress relievers at the ready to let off steam but we are beyond that now so we'll move on. Quickly.

Want some frank advice at a time when you are at your limit ready to burst?
Step One: Cry. Go ahead and cry. Cry hard. If you are going to do it, do it right.
To hell with being tough, a rock. No one can  be an emotional rock 24/7. God, now that I think of it who would want to?
You may need to find a private place first. When you do just collapse for a few minutes and let it all go. If you need to go right now go ahead. Don't worry we will be here when you get back.
Breaking the seal on that bubbling over pot of frustration, letting off steam is far better than losing complete control at the worst time. For example, exploding around your coworkers, spouse or children will certainly lead to mountains of regret. A good cleansing cry is what you need. Please Note: put a limit on how long you are going to cry. You want to cleanse yourself not wallow in misery. Cleanse yes, wallow no way.
Step Two: After blowing your nose, take several deep breaths and try to smile just a little.
Step Three: Have waiting for you that one thing that puts you back into a positive frame of mind. This one thing will be unique to each of us. Good, upbeat music is my attitude adjuster. Billy Joel's Go To Extremes hands down is my favorite. It's impossible for me to feel doom and gloom when I hear that song. 
You may need to take a long walk outside, sweat it out on a treadmill, call a friend who always makes you laugh or maybe scrapbook. If you have kids you must watch after, find something you love to do with them. Kids love time with their parents doing goofy things. Those are the unforgettable memories they take with them forever. Start a water fight, blow bubbles, share big hugs and kisses.
Whatever that one thing is for you go do it now.
Congratulations you survived, the world did not end after all.
Step Four: Come back with your mind clearer and your emotions under control.
Make a quick list, mentally or on paper, maybe three short things you want to accomplish right now. This is not a list meant to make you feel bad for what hasn't been done yet. This list is for just a few quick hit items that you can accomplish in a short amount of time. What I want you to feel is a sense of accomplishment, right now.
For example your list could be as simple as 1) brush hair/wash face, 2) pick clothes off the floor, 3) start the dishwasher. I like a list that cleans. A less cluttered environment always seems to make me feel less cluttered in the head.
Go after that list with a vengeance. Show it who is boss and when you are done do a victory dance.
I know this post may have sounded a bit simple or silly but we are dealing with real every day life and how to make our realize our dreams in this our reality.
If you have a moment, comment with an example of how you blow off steam or recover from a meltdown.

2 comments:

Barbara Lund said...

Got To Extremes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xgjtm4_M20

Laura K said...

Your post is so validating, Barb!! I especially like the part about allowing yourself to cry. I don't think enough of us allow ourselves that luxury. I find that when I allow myself to cry, I am often forced to actually identify and name my feelings, thanks to a very empathetic 4-year-old. She asks "What's wrong, Mommy?" and I realize that to reassure her that the world is not ending, I must explain to her that Mommy is just tired or frustrated or sad, and that it will pass. It helps me to be more aware of how I'm feeling and also helps me to pick myself up and move on.