Monday, October 18, 2010

Getting out of your own way

Have you ever been so concerned whether or not you would do a good job on a project you began to procrastinate? If I do not do it I can not fail. I may have caught myself doing this the last two weeks. Okay, may isn't the word. I have caught myself. I want this blog to have purpose, to be meaningful or at the very least entertaining. But I will not get anywhere if I . . .
Keep writing and rewriting my posts.
Splitting one post into three because I worry there are too many subjects.
Worrying the post is too long, too short, too serious.
Allowing myself to get distracted and so on.

Asked a friend of mine who's writing I have enjoyed for years about my post writing block. He, Ger, helped me shine a light on the problem. Being so concerned about whether or not other people would appreciate what I wrote I forgot about whether or not I would feel good about what I wrote. The point of this blog is not to create perfect prose and generate responses. This blog is my place to share ideas that have inspired me, a place to practice writing, a place to share my journey through the changes I need to make to live the full life I hope for.  I know he would never accept credit but just a few emails from Ger calling me on my conflicting priorities helped so much. Thanks Buzz.

This I have learned. To thine own self be true. Yes I stole it. My old friend Willie won't mind. 
Most people know themselves better than they think. In fact, most people know themselves so well they manipulate themselves into believing their own bullshit. Growing up, accomplishing that personal project, living a full life involves knowing yourself well enough to get the hell out of your own way.

A trusted friend can give you an assist. Open your eyes, help you find clarity. Just as my friend Ger helped remind me of this blog's true purpose. But only I could change my behavior and take action.
Only I could put myself back on track to keep moving in the right direction. No one else can do it for me.
No one else can do it for you.

No comments: