Friday, March 30, 2012

The Little Victories Along The Way

Feeling good about my choice to slowly build up to longer and more intense workouts.
Today I jogged twice for the length of a full song. My goal?  Just make it to the end of the song, alive. I have jogged a bit here and there but not for very long and not without frustration. It is so hard for me to not be able to run after a youth and young adulthood of being so very fast. I once could sprint like the wind. But that was many years ago. A lifetime ago.
Today I felt a glimmer of my youth returning. When I jogged I noticed my lungs were not failing me, it was my aching shins that tired first. A small success for some but a huge victory for me.  My cardiovascular fitness was improving! My legs are still moving a good amount of weight. The impact is hard on them. But still, the improvement I am seeing from only a few weeks ago is so encouraging. Stepping off the treadmill I can't help but smile to myself. No one else in the room knows why but I do. So I will keep working on it. Adding a bit more time and intensity each week. Have to remember this is a marathon, not a sprint. And this goal is worth working for.

No comments: