Monday, December 6, 2010

Defining Moments

Ever think if you just got one major part of your life settled the rest would all magically fall into place?
This is truly what I expected. I expected the day that I found myself employed again that I would in turn find myself. Become complete. A fully functioning, highly motivated, gettin' it done machine. Even if I did not magically become all I want to be in that moment I would at the very least begin to surge with the energy, drive and laser focus needed to immediately begin working on the parts of me I wanted to improve. As if the new job title would give me a well defined path and the killer confidence to follow it without doubt. A drive to excell in everything I do, an iron will to succeed.
Um . . .  Nope. Hasn't happened yet.
And I was so sure it would. Waited for it, watched for it, certain I didn't miss it. Since coming to the realization that I need to go after my dreams and not wait for them to come to me you would think I would know better. Just goes to show you we learn and evolve every day.
Folks. The life you want . . . the person you wish to be is going to take work. Your work. There is no short cut, no "defining moment." Bummer, I know. (Only happnes in the movies and that's because the life of movie characters lasts about 120 minutes. If I only had 120 minutes there better be at least one big event in my life that makes my short life exciting.)  Doesn't that sound nice though? Romantic even? A single defining moment in your life and the work is done. You are set for a long happy life. Alas, it is not to be.
But look at the flip side. This is where I often find my silver lining.
One event in your life will NOT define you. Thank God! What if you do not get to choose your moment? What if that single event that you have foolishly chosen to focus on, to define yourself with, is a regretful mistake, a painfully tragic accident or just plain depressing? If that is the case and your one defining moment sucks . . . you are not set for live my friend . . you're screwed.  Thankfully, we are not defined in such an irresponsible way.
For many reasons, I am positive we are not defined by a single event.  
Beings of such boundless love, creativity and possibility can not be defined by one event. We are far too complex. Our lives are filled with thousands of events occuring every day. Some good, some sad; joyful and sad. Who could possibly choose one and say this single moment is all that I am and all that I will ever be? Please don't do that because another moment is coming, quickly that could change everything.  
Who really wants to be defined anyway? Defining a person sounds very much like labeling to me. Big no no in my book. No one person, all they are and the many ways their life has touched the lives of others can not be wrapped in one word and a pretty bow
I believe what happens to you in a single moment is not nearly as important as how you react to all the events in your life. Big and small. Life happens. If we want to experience a full life we can not escape a broken heart, disappointment or failure. Life happens.  Life is also full of love, laughter and success if you do your part in bringing it or even allowing it into your world. Do your part. Do not wait for what you want, do your part to make it happen.
Find your passion! Discover for you personally what is worth fighting for and well damn it, fight for it!
We all know ourselves better than we think. We all have a passion that we are denying ourselves for one reason or another. Fear maybe? Fear is the greatest motivating force driving a person to do absolutely nothing. Ironic.
Face the fear. Be bold. Find your passion and the will to fight. When you are knocked down get back up. Let go of regret and the energy you waste holding onto it. Stop waiting for the moment to arrive. The moment is already here. Stand up and take that first step. Now.
Be fierce my friends.

No comments: