Friday, April 15, 2011

Totally Excellent Broccoli Beef

Chinese food is not only very expensive but many recipes are also surprisingly fattening. Sure I know this but still it is so delicious and one of my top two comfort foods. Even when I tried to rationalize I was at least eating my vegetables I knew.  I especially love the flavorful rich sauce of a kung pao dish. I love sauces. The first time I gladly ate cooked vegetables I did so because of the fantastic pepper steak sauce those delectable green beans were bathed in.  I can still remember the rich pepper taste on my tongue and the look of amazement on my husband's face. If he hadn't seen it himself he wouldn't have believed I would ever clean my plate of cooked green veggies. 

During my quest to find healthy, delicious, quick and easy recipes I discovered the recipe below in Cooking Light magazine.  The flavor completely satisfied my Chinese food craving while saving money, eating healthy and making me feel like a totally together, responsible adult.  You can be sure Broccoli Beef is now a regular on the meal plan rotation.

Read all instructions and prep all ingredients before you begin cooking.
Ingredients:
As much white rice as you like. This meal cooks fast so start it early.
2 tbl dry sherry, divided
2 tbl lower sodium soy sauce, divided.
1 tsp sugar
1 pound boneless sirloin, cut diagonally across grain into thin slices
1/2 cup lower sodium beef broth
1 tbl cornstarch
1 tbl hoisin sauce
1 tsp Sriracha (hot chili sauce) or 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper.
    I used the red pepper
2 tbl canola oil, divided
1 tbl bottled ground fresh ginger (not sure how it can be bottled and fresh? I used fresh)
2 tsp minced garlic
4 cups pre-chopped broccoli florets
1/4 cup water
1/3 cup sliced green onions

1. Cook Rice
2. While rice cooks, combine 1 tbl sherry, 1 tbl soy sauce, sugar and beef in a bowl. In a second bowl stir together1 tbl sherry, 1 tbl soy sauce, broth, cornstarch, hoisin, and red pepper.
3. heat 1 tbl oil in  a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef mixture; saute 3 minutes or until browned. remove beef from pan. Add remaining 1 tbl of oil to pan. Add ginger and garlic, cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add broccoli and 1/4 cup water; cook 1 minute. Add onions; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add broth mixture and beef mixture; cook 2 minutes or until beef is thoroughly heated and sauce is slightly thick.

No comments: