Sunday, September 16, 2012

Choosing My Battles

This week is all about trying hard to get back into the swing of working out 5-6 days a week. The new school schedule, volunteering for the PTO and getting Erin to her enrichment classes have really put a wrench into the works. Not to mention other personal events and projects that weigh on my mind every day.
Still the best way to prepare myself to handle any challenge that comes my way (physical, emotional or otherwise) is to continue to improve my health. I need to find new motivation.

The weight loss contest after-glow is waining. The competitive spirit driving me on during the contest is now gone. So is the shame and guilt I feared from a poor show on weigh-in day. Also great motivators. Workouts have been minimal and my appetite is raging. Wouldn't mind as much if I was only eating larger portions of healthy foods. But the latest trip to Panda Express has left me feeling guilt ridden and run down. If there was only a way to remind myself how lousy I feel after eating a fattening meal before I eat it.
Last week my weight did a scary 7 pound up swing out of no where. Thankfully, that number went back down 5 pounds again but still . . . really pissed me off.

Became my bitch March 2012
Having an antagonist really helped keep me motivated during the contest. Some one or some thing to act as a competitor; an enemy to wage war against. n past posts you will read I had both a man and a machine to battle. (See: At Least I Beat Larry) Late last fall my personal goal was to beat a specific treadmill in the fitness center. Classic battle of woman vs. machine. After months of beating me up I was going make the machine my bitch. Before each work out I would step up confidently and say (in my head thank God) "Bring it ON!" In my opinion you must make it personal. I don't care if your enemy is an inanimate object. Important goals are personal. Make it personal.

Became my bitch May 2012
Next came the elliptical. Bring it ON! First time I tried that machine I hardly lasted three minutes. Now I am upping the tension levels, using faster paced music and jumping back and forth from the treadmill to the elliptical and back again to keep my heart rate up. I am the victor on this battle field.
I need the renewed motivation that comes with a new enemy.

Time to move the battle outside.

No comments: