Monday, March 26, 2012

Frustration the only thing Not Plateauing

Trying to work through my frustration. The number on the scale does not seem to be moving despite my working out, hard, every day. Most days I work out over an hour. I'm in the cardio zone for at least 50 minutes. Calories burned as calculated by my heart rate monitor lies between 550 and 750 per workout. My personal best has been 925 calories in one session! Lately though that number seems to be going down. Odd.
So why am I not dropping weight? Have I plateaued?
Keeping up this intensity for over two months has been hard but I'm doing it. I rarely over eat though trying hard not to get obsessive about it. Would suck to come out of this with an eating disorder.
What blows me away is how quickly your body responds so exercise. Every day increasing my heart rate to a fat burning cardio zone is becoming harder and harder.  Sometimes I will work a half hour on the treadmill, left weights for 15 minutes or so and then jump back on the treadmill again. Have even begun jogging for a full song once or twice while on the treadmill in hopes of upping my game here. I'm sweating like crazy and working hard. I'm worried if I push much harder I'm going to get hurt. Pretty sure my knee has been trying to hint at that possibility. So what is it going to take to move that number on the scale?

Researching the possible problems I am pretty sure I've reached a plateau. Here is a list of possible causes and ways to get passed them. A few comments from myself in italics.
1)Lowering your calories too much thus sending your body into a panic to keep a balance and reduce your metabolic rate. Maybe you are eating too little. Keeping your calorie intake just below maintenance levels is a good way to go.  I don't think this is the cause of my problem. I have always had a good appetite. But it's a good point to remember since we are taught to restrict our diets when trying to lose weight. So easy to take that too far. 
2) Lack of proper nutrition. Healthy muscle burns fat. Poor nutrition weakens your muscles, those lovely fat burning machines. Help keep your body function well by feeding your body with the best fuel (nutritious food) and maybe also a multivitamin. Not sure this is my problem either. My body has always had a lot of muscle but I will take this one seriously. I am pushing nutritious foods like never before but maybe I am still missing something. A multivitamin would cover pretty much anything and is a simple solution. 
3)Weight loss could be the culprit.  Sure that is the plan, to lose weight but the more you lose the less calories you burn moving your body. An exercise program that includes weight training can increase lean body mass, build those fat burning muscles, and help you continue burning calories. This one ticked me off but it makes sense. Ugh. Weight training is already part of my routine but if it is not part of yours I highly suggest adding it. 
4)The Adaption Phase ends. Ah come on now I just got started, right? How can this be happening already. We burn a lot of calories in the beginning of a program not only from the exercise itself but also from our body changing to adjust to the new workload and our muscles rebuilding themselves. When our bodies have adapted the calorie burn slows down. It is suggested that we keep our bodies guessing by constantly changing the intensity, duration and type of exercise. Hmmmm. I was switching it up more often last month but have this month. Maybe continuing the attempts to jog while switching machines more often will help. Ugh. 
5)Exercise Efficiency. Again I want to growl but as an ex-athlete I get it. The better we get at our exercise of choice the more efficient our bodies become at doing it. Therefore we burn less calories in the attempt.   In other words, trying something new is important to fending of that frustrating plateau.  Good news is you now have motivation to try new activities and reap the benefit of sucking at them for a while! Bonus!
6)Over Training Now this could be something. I have been pushing pretty hard the last 6 weeks. Working out every single day for the last 2 weeks. Over training becomes a problem because your body wants to hold onto those fat stores and keep you in balance at your current weight. Thanks a lot, huh? So just as when you seriously decrease your calorie intake, your body tries to retain balance by compensating for those hard workouts by burning less calories throughout the rest of the day.
Take a break. Instead of working out 7 days a week take a day off and/or lighten up a couple days a week. Trade a heavy workout day with a less strenuous activity. I plan to make sure I take off one day a week and also once a week switch my normal workout for something different. Maybe Pilates.
7)Enhanced Physical Condition You're in better shape now so your body needs fewer calories to operate during a workout and while you are at rest. Which of course is our ultimate goal but when you know you still have weight to lose this can be pretty frustrating. First of all, feel good that you are moving in the right direction and getting in shape. To help break through the plateau try the same strategy as fighting plateau cause number 5, Exercise Efficiency. Switch it up and try something new to surprise your body into burning fat again.
I plan to try a three pronged attack in hopes of busting through this plateau:
  1. Take a multivitamin to assure my body is fueled with all the nutrients it needs.
  2. Avoid over training by easing back on the exercise by taking one day off a week. 
  3. Keep my body guessing with variety by using other cardio equipment besides the treadmill and trying new activities outside of the fitness center. Maybe take a Zumba or Pilaties class. 
Will let you know how it goes. I have another weigh-in next week. I know I should be proud of my hard work either way but since I am in the middle of a contest focused on pounds lost it is very difficult not to focus on that number. Takes effort but I remind myself often; weight loss is about much more than the numbers.  So take my own suggestion and believe those compliments you are getting from friends and family. They give you strength. Saw my Dad over the weekend. Today he sent me an e-mail saying that I looked 10 years younger. Ah, thanks Dad!

Be excellent to each other,
Barbara

No comments: