Friday, October 22, 2010

Tipping Point

Despite trying to convince yourself otherwise, life or should I call it fate, often finds a way to convince you that you need to make a change for the better. For me, fate stepped in a little over a year ago in the form of good friends. A few new friends and a few old friends who returned to my life through Facebook.

Knowing what I would like to do with my life was easy. Among other things, finally get the house organized, lose this excess weight and never find it again . . .  TRAVEL! Making it happen, now there is the tough part. Sure my wish list was long but my list of excuses was longer. Hmmmm. IS longer. I'm still not currently working on every one of my goals, that would be impossible, but I know I am making progress.

In the real world we need more than just luke warm desire to fulfill our dreams. More than just a good idea. We need drive, active participation in our life, determination, good planning, guts and often times a warm supportive kick in the butt. When we do not have that support we may also need an adventurous spirit willing to go it alone.

Each dream is unique as well as the challenges. Your journey may be swift or you may need to take many steps before arriving at your destination.  Each nudge in the right direction may seem small but the total effort will cause significant change, bringing you to your own personal tipping point from dreaming to doing . . . or becoming.  

As I told my friends from my younger days, "So good to be reminded by people who knew me so well back in my teens what I was like before life started kicking us in the ass." Despite 20 years of separation, the ease in which we fell into a familiar rhythm with each other would have been eerie if it had not felt so damn wonderful. Though we shared experiences as friends in high school I would not say we were birds of a feather. We were actually very different, still are today. But our differences compliment one another instead of conflict. Via email we shared the powerful yet positive after shocks from that evening of bowling, laughter and Kate and I discovering our own special tipping point (the sight of a bottle of Jameson). We three felt we had found our best friends again and just like we promised we have kept in touch since that night. Sharing our history, disappointments, joy and hopes for the future. More revelations about us three later.

I have many goals in life I hope to achieve. A varied support group or network, if you prefer, of positive people is wise. Different people in my life are key supporters for personal or professional goals. But a handful of people I love dearly support me in all my goals.  Call them nudgers or pushers if you like but each of them in their own way is helping me reach my tipping point.
  • First I should thank my husband, Paul, who has had my back for over 20 years. See hon, I have yet to write anything negative about you in my blog. Though I know sometimes change is difficult for you, I see you making the effort to give me room to grow. Thank you.
  • Must thank Laura for coming back into my life. What a mess I would have been this last year without you. You are so strong, have such clarity in your convictions and are always ready to fix my crappy day with your clever sense of humor. Thank you for being my cheerleader and inspiring me to stalk Kate until we flushed her out into the open. Laura you bring good people together.
  • Ah Kate, I was always taken by your passion for well, everything! When you love, you love with all you've got. Despite being disappointed by people or fate you have not lost that willingness to open your heart again. Thank you for taking a chance on me and responding to my email.
  • Thank you Bryan for your unique sense of humor and lack of a critical bone in your body. Nothing surprises you. No matter how bad a hit life dishes out, somehow, some way, you find a reason to laugh. When we get together we laugh hard and from the gut. 
  • Tricia, a friend from my adult years, is such a stop whining and JUST DO IT type of woman. I'm sure she has her own doubts, trials and tribulations but she is still moving forward and in my eyes accomplishing great things. You inspire me to have my own identity while remaining a happy wife and mother. Your own blog has been a great example.
  • Thank you Nigel for becoming my mentor and dear friend. Everyone should have a Nigel who believes anything is possible if you get off your butt and work for it. Your insight and example have been invaluable. We have never met but still you have become such a positively motivating pain in my ass. Crazy Brit. Thanks for giving me that last push, the tipping point I needed to finally develop Are We There Yet?
  • The biggest push of all comes from my daughter Erin. You reopened my eyes to a world of limitless possibility. I hope you will be as proud to have me as your Mom as I am to have you as my Daughter.
If you like, please leave a comment about someone who gave you the push you needed.

If you wish more in depth information about societal tipping points I suggest reading The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell. Contagious Commitment is another good book if you enjoy reading about the theory in scientific terms.

1 comment:

Laura K said...

Awww. . .finally had a minute to sit down and read this. I'm so glad you're back in MY life, too! Having that piece of my personal history back is really cool after so many years without it. It's amazing to find that all those years ago, we knew who to be with and stay close to, but it took us years of trials and tribulations and separation to finally recognize what we had. What a gift we've been given in being able to reunite after all these years!!