Sunday, October 3, 2010

Why Now?

Why not now? If not now, then when?
Ask yourself . . . Do we dream the impossible dream? Or are our dreams realy just a breath, step or flight away? By calling them "dreams" do we give these events more mystery than deserved; by making them appear unrealistic, magical and too lofty a goal to be achieved by mere mortals? Believing our dreams to be just out of reach we wait and wait for that magical moment to happen to us, an opportunity to present itself as if powerless.

Far too quickly the days pass and we find ourselves tiring more easily. So many responsibilities. So so much compromise. Work, family, parenting our children, maintaining a home and the laundry. Laundry and dishes are worse than death and taxes. At least in death there is finality. When you begin to feel your age slowing you, you begin to question how long until parts of you begin to fail altogether. Age sneaks up on you in the rudest of ways. 

Then it hits you, our time is limited.  If you are like me you know this feeling all too well, though your trigger may have been different. My trigger was nearly losing my mother to cancer the same week my child was born.  Life and death in the balance. From that day I began to ask myself questions opening myself up to enlightening and at times difficult answers. Of the many, the following questions inspired this blog. What has kept me from realizing my dreams in the past? What dreams and aspirations do I hold for myself (and my daughter) today?  This became the biggest question of all because the possible number of answers are unique to each one of us and without limit. Read this again because this message is important . . . Unique and Without Limit.

The only person or thing that can limit what you accomplish in life is you and you alone. Easy to nod your head in understanding but not so easy to believe, I know. I'm right there with you. Hopefully we can find a way to help each other truly believe, then, turn that belief into action.

You should know you do not have to feel loads of regret or loss to want more from this life. My life is good. Loving husband, brilliant/beautiful/creative daughter (don't get me started on her or we'll be here all week), a modest home with food in the fridge. Be thankful if you have the necessities of life. So many people do not. I have stability. Considering my childhood stability means a lot to me. (We'll get to the childhood later I'm sure.). Generally I would say I am a positive person. I firmly believe we choose our own attitude. But shouldn't there be more to life than feeling content? Have you ever felt guilty for wanting more? Selfish even? Irresponsible?

With all my heart I promise these two things
1) You are not selfish or wrong for wanting the most this life has to offer
2) As long as you are breathing it is not too late.

There is no better time than now to take that first step towards realizing your life long dreams. The first step can be the most difficult to take because that step involves admitting you want more, opening your heart and taking a chance. Don't worry, we'll all hold hands and take the step together. 

Though I bet your list is long please pick one thing you really want to see, try, accomplish during your life time. I will give you three of my own at least one of which I rarely if ever talk about. Sort of a blog exclusive. I want to . . .
Share my thoughts in writing with others - Check!
Experience Italy on my own terms.
Sing a solo (even if only part of a song) in front of a small audience at least once.
Okay, your turn.

No comments: